Massage therapy is when hands, fingers, elbows, feet, knees, or some devices are used to manipulate soft tissues beneath the skin. Massage therapy is one of the most popular and frequently performed therapies in Canada. It’s so widely used because of the many benefits it provides, such as improvements in the immune system, lower heart rate,optimal blood pressure, etc. Massage therapy has many psychological benefits as well.
This aspect, however, is mostly unexplored. Let’s see what the psychological benefits of getting massage therapy are.
Psychological Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy have positive effects on the emotional well-being of a person in many different ways.
- It stimulates the nervous system to release more Endorphins, namely Serotonin and Dopamine. Release of these endorphins helps in coping with depression and anxiety.
- Release of positive hormones also causes a reduction in stress levels. According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), massage therapy helps reduce stress which in turns reduces depression and anxiety.
- Massage therapies have a soothing effect and help prevent health problems like headaches and hypertension. According to MayoClinic, headaches are linked to stress.
- Massage therapy also promotes better sleep. Adequate sleep is necessary for a healthy life. It helps improve memory, keeps up high energy levels, helps you stay more alert and get sick less often.
- Finally, massage therapy satisfies a person’s need of physical human contact. This satisfaction fosters positive feelings of care and well-being that help in fighting depression and anxiety.
- Muscles get tired over the day due to physical exertion. Like any other part of the body, they need to be rejuvenated; massage therapy is a great way of restoring muscle function.
- Massage therapy increases energy levels by improving flow of blood throughout the body. Any blockages within the muscles are opened which naturally lead to higher levels of energy.
Thus, having established the positive effects of massage therapy on a person’s emotional well-being, it might be a good idea to start getting some on a regular basis.
Divergent Health Group in Calgary, Alberta, provides top-of-the-line message therapy to hundreds of its satisfied customers. They also provide many other effective treatments for pain management. Try out our services today by booking an appointment for yourself. Our highly skilled, trained and experienced doctors will love to welcome you to the fold. Live healthy!